Friday, July 31, 2009

Author Interview with APRIL STAR


April Star has written in a number of genres before settling on romantic suspense and cozy mysteries. Her real-life RVing experiences helped set the stage for her most recent book.
**************************

Who is the one person who most encouraged or influenced you to be a writer—and why?

There were many that inspired, encouraged, and influenced me my journey as a writer. But if I have to narrow it down to just one, definitely that one person would be my husband. He has stood beside me for forty years. He’s the one who shouted,” YOU CAN!” when I cried, “I can’t.” Beside me, he continues to ride the crests of my joys as well as enduring the depths of my disappointments.


How long have you been writing? In what genres do you write?

If you were to ask my Mom that question, she'd tell you, "It all happened when I was nine months old!" I had been placed on a youth bed and rolled off—smacking my head dead center into the carriage of a metal toy typewriter. My dad rushed me to the hospital (typewriter embedded in my forehead) to get stitched up. He later told me, "When the doctor handed you back to me, he said, 'Well, she'll either grow up loving writing or hating it!' But in all seriousness, I started penning stories as soon as I learned how to write. Writing has always been a part of me and something I have always had to do to feel complete.


Tell us about your RV book, RV Having Fun?

Actually, this is not a book, it’s an Amazon Short! My first book in my wanderlust series was Tropical Warnings (Five StarGale Cengage November 2006.) In this romantic thriller, a beautiful and smart manager of a camping resort is threatened by an unknown stalker. A handsome, semi-retired martial arts-instructor-turned-private-investigator, is the only one willing to help the "sensuous" heroine. I liked the characters that David and Laura ended up becoming and somewhere in the middle of Tropical Warnings I decided to keep them alive with a series.


What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced as a writer?

I would have to say self-promotion. I had always dreamed about becoming a published author and how wonderful it would be to just sit home and write books. That is the fantasy of publication (right along with becoming rich)! Through many trials and tribulations, much help from fellow authors along the way, and countless hours of Internet research, I have learned the basics and techniques of promotion. It has been a challenge that continues which each new piece published and a challenge I now see as exciting and adventurous as the writing itself. I learned I can put just as much creativity into promotion as I can with my writing, and that has turned an otherwise frustrating aspect of the craft into joy and enthusiasm.


Tell us about your most recent mystery, The Last Resort. Where can we buy a copy?

The Last Resort is book two in my series. It is available at Amazon, Books-A-Million, Barnes and Noble, and many other bookstores around the country. This title reintroduces David and Laura from Tropical Warnings and is set in St. Augustine, Florida at a fictional RV resort. It’s also a murder mystery which I loved writing! I got to use a lot of forensics, which I discovered I loved doing!


What are you working on now and when/where do you expect it to be available?

Actually, I ‘m working on two projects. Book three in my wanderlust series, It’s Check out Time, and I have started work on Murder in Paradise: A Paradise by the Sea Mystery. I expect the last installment of the Wanderlust Mysteries, It’s Check out Time, to be available this time next year and the first title in my new series, hopefully, soon after!


Writers, especially new writers, are always looking for tips and helpful information. What is the single most important “tip” you can give to a new writer.

Listen to the sounds of your soul and NOT to what others say you should or shouldn’t be writing.


What writers organizations claim you as a member?

I’m an active member of Mystery Writer’s of America, Sisters in Crime, International Thriller Writer’s, and Romance Writer’s of America.


Do you have any upcoming book signings or appearances? If so, give us all the details.

I’m still putting dates and times together. They will be posted on the events page of my website as they become confirmed.


Here’s your opportunity to tell us anything else you care to share.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to be here, Linda. The writing life has always been an exciting one for me, even long before publication. I think that’s because I’ve always found so much solace in the creative process. For me, writing has been my therapist, my best friend, my worst enemy, and always an integral part of who and what I am. It continues to surprise and amaze me in the many ways it convinces me of my true purpose in life.


What are the addresses of your website(s) and blog(s):

http://www.authoraprilstar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment