Sunday, July 11, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: INTELLIGENCE by Susan Hasler

Maddie James and her colleagues are terrorism experts working in a crumbling intelligence agency.  They are certain another big terrorist attack is coming, but in a post 9-11 election year, the Administration is stressing its victories in the war on Terror--and few want to hear the term's warnings.

So begins the press release for Susan Hasler's debut novel.  I have no personal or factual knowledge of what goes on inside our government agencies, but INTELLIGENCE gave me a whole new insight into what just may be going on.  Hasler spent 21 years working for the CIA and she did an excellent job using jargon in a way that actually lent to the story rather than detracting from it.  Her sarcastic and witty sense of humor, along with a depth of compassion, created a cast of memorable characters.

More importantly, her well-laid out plot provided me with much food for thought--even after I finished the book.  I couldn't put INTELLIGENCE down; I read it from cover to cover in one day.  If I had to rate it on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it a 9.5.

INTELLIGENCE was released on June 22, 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books, a division of St. Martin's Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment